Second Sundays October: The Flower Is Art
Date(s): October 8, 2017 at 12:00pm - 5:00pm
Location: Newark Museum
Cost: Free for Members/Residents
October: Celebrating Hispanic Heritage Month
Second Sundays is a series for all ages and takes place each month from October through June. Programs are designed to showcase the Museum’s special exhibitions and permanent collections and enhance the gallery experience.
Unless otherwise noted, all Second Sundays programs are included with general museum admission.
National Hispanic Heritage Month is in full bloom at the Newark Museum as we celebrate the significance of flowers within Hispanic culture, from art in the Museum’s collection to music to tattoos to Latin divas.
Highlights at this month's Second Sunday include:
- Shake, shake, shake to the sounds of bomba and plena drum music by Segunda Quimbamba!
- Create a floral temporary tattoo design inspired by art in the galleries and have it airbrushed onto your body.
- Decorate a sculptural floral installation with artist Kathleen Granados. Then strike a pose for a fun photo opportunity.
- Show some love to your favorite Latin divas by creating floral mini-shrines with artist Patricia Reynolds.
Also don't miss:
- Hands-on “Creative Play” and Family Gallery Workshops and in the MakerSPACE
- Gallery tours
- Planetarium show
- Tales of the Maya Skies (7 minutes) Ages 6 and up
Discover the famous Mayan tale of the Hero Twins and their transformation into the moon and sun, which is thought of as a radiant flower.
Thursday, September 28, 2023