Second Sundays: November 2017 - The Cultured Body
Date(s): November 12, 2017 at 12:00pm - 5:00pm
Location: Newark Museum
Second Sundays is a series for all ages and takes place each month from October through June. Programs are designed to showcase the Museum’s special exhibitions and permanent collections and enhance the gallery experience.
Unless otherwise noted, all Second Sundays programs are included with general museum admission.
November: Experience the ways in which the body is explored, adorned, and transformed as inspired by our reinstalled Arts of Africa gallery.
- Explore body transformation, circus style, during a live performance and workshop presented by Universal African Dance and Drum Ensemble.
- Test your balance in a tightrope walking workshop led by Trenton Circus Squad and inspired by Yinka Shonibare’s “Lady Walking a Tightrope.”
- Wrap your body in your own custom designed African textile print in a workshop led by textile designer and printer, Angela Pilgrim.
- Adorn your head with a hair crown in a workshop led by artist, Adebunmi Gbadebo.
- Program also includes hands-on MakerSPACE Drop-Ins and Family Gallery Workshops; Gallery tours; and Planetarium shows, including Skywatchers of Africa